From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: smoothest way to jump from 2006 to 2008
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:19:56
1 On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:00 AM, <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > eix-sync
5 > > eix-test-obsolete
6 > > emerge -pvDuN --with-bdeps=y world
7 > > emerge -p --depclean
8 > > emerge -pvDuN --with-bdeps=y world
9 > > revdep-rebuild -p
10 > > eix-test-obsolete
11 > >
12 > > Assuming everything is totally clean, or at least understood, now I
13 > > change the profile and repeat the above tasks.
14 >
15 > What does it mean or what is called for if eix-test-obsolete returns
16 > hundreds of packages?
17 >
18 > Installed packages with a version not in the database (or masked):
19 >
20 > [U] app-admin/eselect (1.0.2@07/21/06 -> (~*)1.0.11-r1): Modular
21 > -config replacement utility
24 In general it means that the version of the package (eselect in this
25 case) has been removed from the portage tree by the folks who maintain
26 portage. That means that should you want or need that specific version
27 you cannot get it from portage doing something like this:
28
29 emerge -pv =app-admin/eselect-1.0.2
30
31 The general path I'm taking at this point is that all of these
32 packages are out of date and should be updated. In general they will
33 be with the emerge -DuN world operation. However when I run into a
34 list that is that large I try to handle it in pieces:
35
36 emerge -DuN system
37 emerge -DuN gnome
38 emerge -DuN mythTV
39
40 etc., where I work through the list in a few steps instead of just one
41 pass. (The above are just examples, not suggestions.)
42
43 The issue here, and you're free to assume otherwise, is that I
44 personally didn't want to switch profiles until I was completely clean
45 as I wouldn't understand what changes were taking place due to the
46 profile change and which were because I wasn't up to date anyway.
47
48 - Mark
49 --
50 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list