From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Question of quantum computer
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 23:02:13
1 On Friday 03 April 2015 17:11:11 Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2
3 > That's the problem with science in general. The one thing it may never be
4 > able to answer is "why?".
5
6 I think that's the crux of the problem with some current approaches to
7 physics. Science does not answer the question "why?". That isn't its job.
8 Its job is to explain show "this is how the world works."
9
10 > Take gravity as an example. We [have] really good models for it, we can
11 > predict how it influences even light with great accuracy but what are the
12 > underlying mechanisms? We may never know. Einstein would say it's because
13 > matter bends space, but what is the underlying mechanism for that? We just
14 > take his word for it because he gave us equations that work better than
15 > anything else we've come up with so far.
16
17 No, it's stronger than that. Einstein showed us how it works. The
18 consequence of having a certain concentration of mass /here/ is to distort
19 space-time just /so/ in the region of /here/. No mechanism is required
20 because no process is operating.
21
22 It seems to me that prodigious amounts of time, energy and money are being
23 squandered on trying to find a graviton when no such beast is required to
24 exist. Gravity, as Einstein taught us, is an emergent effect of mass in
25 space-time. It isn't a force; it's an effect. Yet how many theorists and
26 experimenters are thrashing themselves trying to find this imaginary
27 particle which is supposed to moderate this imaginary force?
28
29 Of course it's natural to wish to fill in the blanks in the standard models,
30 but it's too easy to lose sight of what's beyond the end of one's nose. Just
31 look at that other profligate waste of resources: string theory. It has
32 beauty, but it does not correspond to reality in any practical way. So why
33 are whole university faculties around the world staffed with nobody other
34 than string theorists?
37 Rgds
38 Peter.