From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev (viable) alternatives ?
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 18:21:55
1 On 25/09/14 18:25, James wrote:
2 > Ok,
3 >
4 > So I have used eudev before, without issue before. Things are moving along
5 > so now I see an udev-215 upgrade to udev-261 on a system running lxde.
6 > I intend to migrate this system to lxqt in the next few weeks, after
7 > I build up a new workstation.
8 >
9 > So changing from udev-215 to eudev-1.10-r2 is as simple as
10 > unmerging the former and emerging the latter ? The sytem
11 > is not tweaked very much and still running a 3.13.6 kernel, for now.
14 > Any other caveats (short term) on switching udev to eudev?
15
16 no support for kernel side predictable interface names where the naming
17 should
18 *really* be happening, eudev will always rename your interfaces with or
19 without USE="rule-generator"
20
21 to be explicit, eudev will ignore /lib/udev/hwdb.d/20-net-ifname.hwdb,
22 eudev will rename interfaces
23 marked as predictable by the kernel metadata, as in, eudev doesn't
24 contain this commit:
25
26 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/network/99-default.link?id=04b67d49254d956d31bcfe80340fb9df7ed332d3
27
28 in fact, from what I last checked, eudev's networking is at same level
29 with udev-208, from time before the .link support at all
30
31 eudev is really useful only for sys-libs/musl users at this time, but
32 you are free to experiment with it!
33
34 - Samuli