From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub error 15: file not found
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 06:31:26
1 On Tuesday 28 July 2009 02:16:49 Brenton wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > When I try to edit the /dev/sda to /dev/hda I'm not sure how to save my
5 > change when I edit in grub. I make a change then go back to check and it
6 > never saves.
7 >
8 > I'm only trying to follow the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook.
9 >
10 > Thanks,
11 >
12 > Brenton.
13
14 Is /boot a separate partition?
15
16 Then it's not "kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86..."
17
18 it is
19
20 kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86...
21
22 and grub.conf is a conventional file. Boot properly (off a Live CD if you have
23 to), edit the file as root, save like any other time. Then check if your
24 kernel file on disk really is the name you have in grub.conf. It's highly
25 likely it isn't and you just blindly copy-pasted an example. I don't think you
26 have a 2.6.24 kernel on a recent box.
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com