From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mutt probs
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 17:43:08
1 On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 12:10:06PM +0200, Robert Svoboda wrote
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > * Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> [2005-07-07 13:00]:
5 >
6 > > If you set up ssmtp with the sendmail symlink, and don't watch what
7 > > you're doing, chatty cron jobs will send their output to "root"
8 >
9 > I don't think this is the case, ssmtp or bsmtp can't do a
10 > local delivery.
11
12 It *WASN'T* doing "local delivery". *THAT* was the problem. ssmtp
13 forwards *EVERYTHING*, including email for "root" (no domain specified)
14 to my ISP's MTA (i.e. "smarthost"). When no domain is specified, the
15 ISP's MTA defaults to appending the local domain to generate a full
16 email address. Root at my ISP was getting my cron job outputs.
17
18 Yes, it did happen to me. That was my most embarressing moment in
19 terms of screwing up in linux. What I *SHOULD* have done is set
20
21 root=my_user_ID
22
23 in /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf and my_user_ID would've gotten the outputs. I
24 have that set now, but I prefer to play it safe by stepping on the .
25 The root redirection only applies for userid < 10 (e.g. root = 0). I
26 don't know if any cron jobs send output to userids between 10 and 999.
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list