From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 13:55:04
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
3 >
4 >> I have seen where people use dd to do this sort of thing to. I read
5 >> somewhere that if you do a dd and put in all 1's, then all 0's then back
6 >> again that it is very hard to get any data back off the drive. I think
7 >> if you do it like over a dozen times, it is deemed impossible to get
8 >> anything back. I think that is the Government standard of it's gone.
9 > There's no need for multiple passes of dd with different values.
10 >
11 > http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Secure-deletion-a-single-overwrite-will-do-it-739699.html
12 >
13 > Wonko
18 I wonder what some Government org like NSA would think about this? Then
19 again, they may want us to believe this so they can get stuff back.
20 ;-) ;-)
21
22 That said, I always wondered how something can be there when it is
23 erased. On paper, I can see that because it made a physical change to
24 the paper but on magnetic media, it is magnetic not physical.
25
26 Anyway.
27
28 Dale
29
33 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!