From: Greg Yasko <gyasko@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: /dev/cdrom has gone!
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 13:48:06
1 > yes, it works just well in WindowsXP.
2 > it even works before i use udev. hehe
3 >
4 > i'm not sure it failed due to the udev,
5 > i have no idea now.
6
7 I had the exact same problem when switching to the 2.6 kernel and udev
8 several months ago. After deleting .devfsd from the devices directory my
9 CD burner was properly detected upon reboot, and the directory was
10 populated with devices that were missing. There was a line in dmesg about
11 .devfsd blocking at startup.
12
13 Is .devfsd in your /dev directory? Run an "ls -al /dev | grep devfsd". If
14 so, boot off a livecd and delete the file. Be sure that you aren't using a
15 hybrid of devfs and udev before doing this.
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list