From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How can I upgrade my python version?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:49:57
1 On Saturday 20 September 2008 16:44:09 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > haoniukun wrote:
3 > > Dear all,
4 > >
5 > > I've just upgraded my gentoo system.
6 > > I synchronized my portage tree just now.
7 > > It was installed about a year ago.
8 > > The python version is 2.4.4-r6.
9 > > But when I was trying to install python 2.5, I've got an eapi exception.
10 > > And the installation failed.
11 > > And my portage upgrade is also blocked due to the bash version.
12 > > How can I upgrade my portage?
13 > >
14 > > Any hint would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
15 >
16 > One year ago? I recommend a new install. If a Gentoo system isn't
17 > updated for longer than about two months, hell tends to break loose on
18 > the next sync.
19
20 That is very bad advice. Sounds like something a Windows user would say, and
21 the OP did NOT say that his machine has not been updated for a year. He said
22 it's a year old.
23
24 haoniukun, there's no reason to reinstall the system. I've man times updated
25 gentoo machines after 18 months or so. All hell does not break loose, but you
26 do have to look at the output and think about what you are doing. Your
27 problem sounds like the python/python-updater/bash conflict from a while ago.
28 It's trivially easy to get around. But for me to assist you I'm going to need
29 the emerge output. With gentoo, always put the output you get in the support
30 mail - because you are going to be asked for it anyway.
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com