From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 00:04:00
1 On 14/12/2010, at 4:57pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> ...I got one more hard drive to move over and it is SATA. Question one, can
4 >> the new mobo's do hot plugging for SATA drives?
5 >> ...
6 >
7 > The SATA spec allows for hot plugging, so technically yes ...
8
9 My recollection of my understanding (multiple disclaimers) was that SATA *allowed* for SATA hot-plugging but didn't *mandate* it.
10
11 If I could have found a SATA motherboard &/or controller with multiple ports that supported SATA hot-plugging then, when I built my storage server, I would have bought that and saved myself quite a bit of money against the hardware RAID card I bought instead. The impression I got when reading, however, was that many SATA ports can be hot-plugged, but their manufacturers don't explicitly state the fact, so one can't be 100% sure it's safe to do so.
12
13 Also: learn to snip, guys.
14
15 Stroller.