From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distccmon-gui red bars finally solved
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 13:23:20
1 On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I wanted to share with others on the list something that I recently
3 > discovered with distccmon-gui. I found that when I travel to work and to
4 > home with my laptop, sometimes the distccmon-gui would be covered with
5 > red specks when processing jobs on remote hosts. I saw that they were
6 > always associated with the "connecting" phase but I could never figure
7 > out what the problem was because the job would eventually compile there.
8 > It turns out that the connecting phase is usually slowed down by the
9 > name resolution of the host, so if one of the entries in my distcc/hosts
10 > file just had a short name, instead of the FQDN for the host, it would
11 > show up red during connect as it tried to resolve the hostname.
12 >
13 > I don't know how many other folks might run into this, because, like I
14 > say, I really only noticed it on my laptop which sometimes gets the
15 > correct domain name (at home!) but not at other times, for a given host.
16 >
17 > Once you fix those, the distcc works great.
18
19 You might also adjust your resolver's searchlist, so that you can
20 still resolve short names on a different domain.
21
22 For example, I might add "slashdot.org" to my resolv.conf as a search
23 domain, and then I could point my browser to "http://yro" or
24 "http://linux" and land on yro.slashdot.org or linux.slashdot.org,
25 respectively.
26
27 Note that resolv.conf is typically rewritten by your DHCP client, so
28 any modifications you'd like to persist, you'll need to make in your
29 DHCP client's configuration. I believe the normal resolver only
30 supports up to three search domains, too, so if your network's DHCP
31 server is already pushing three search domains (the network where I
32 work should be pushing two right now, for example), the fourth in the
33 list will be ignored.
36 :wq