From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerging procmail failure
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:25:23
1 On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Harry Putnam<reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Harry Putnam<reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Yes... except _OH CRAP_ I've forgotten whatever little tiny skill I once
7 >>> had to add a patch into the emerge process manually.
8 >>
9 >> man ebuild
10 >>
11 >> HTH :)
12 >
13 > Doesn't any manual patching have to be done in an overlay? My own
14 > portage setup. Then stepped thru with ebuild to get it accepted by
15 > emerge?
16 >
17 > I see no hits at all on either `overlay' or `layman' in man ebuild.
18 > There must be more to the story than just running ebuild commands. And
19 > expect the modified ebuild to be accepted by emerge.
20
21 Sorry, I was thinking you would apply the patch manually as a
22 one-off... which you could do by unpacking using the ebuild command,
23 applying patch, then compiling/merging it. If you want to make your
24 own ebuild then yes you'd most likely want to put it in an overlay.