From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recent change in ssh behavior caused by pam_ssh-2.1
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 17:25:47
1 On Thursday 09 Jul 2015 17:14:41 walt wrote:
2 > An upstream change in pam_ssh-2.1 requires you to add a new
3 > subdirectory: ~/.ssh/login_keys.d/ and in that directory you must
4 > create a symlink to ~/.ssh/id_rsa in order to be able to ssh in by
5 > using your ssh passphrase instead of your password.
6 >
7 > When you login (or ssh in) you will now see a prompt for "SSH
8 > passphrase:" instead of the old "Password:" prompt.
9 >
10 > This could be confusing if you don't use an ssh passphrase, but your
11 > password will still be accepted as usual.
12 >
13 > I'm wondering what problem this change is solving for us. I already
14 > know at least one problem it created ;)
15
16 I recall setting 'UsePAM no' to disable passwd authentication once upon a
17 time, in favour of public key authentication. Not sure what is the right way
18 to achieve the same or what effect this latest change may have.
19 --
20 Regards,
21 Mick