From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] automount on the CLI
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:09:41
1 On Friday 23 February 2007 00:49, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:15:28 +0000, Mick wrote:
3 > > I've looked around for an explanation, but I have failed to find enough
4 > > to help me understand. Would you care to explain or point me to some
5 > > relevant links. How is one meant to mount a USB stick when on a
6 > > console?
7 > >
8 > > A long time ago I created relevant entries in my fstab, because back
9 > > then automounting was quite involved and a tad unstable. I have still
10 > > some entries like:
11 > >
12 > > # Flash Card
13 > > /dev/sda /mnt/sda auto,vfat,msdos noauto,user,noatime 0 0
14 > > /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 auto,vfat,msdos noauto,user,noatime 0 0
15 > > to be able to mount USB pen drives manually. However, because of these
16 > > fstab entries when I automount them using a GUI (Konqueror), they are
17 > > mounted under /mnt/sda not under /media/disk.
18 >
19 > Remove the entries from /etc/fstab, then KDE will automount them
20 > under /media/<volume name>. To mount manually from a terminal or console,
21 > use "pmount /dev/sda1", you don't need to be root to do this, to have the
22 > device mounted in the same place as with KDE.
23
24 Ahh! man pmount, I forgot about this command . . .
25
26 Thank you very much. Just what I was looking for.
29 Regards,
30 Mick