From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] i486
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:29:12
1 On Monday 22 November 2010, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I want to set up a AMD AthlonXP on Compact
5 > Flash, just like I do my old pentium & i586 systems.
6 > I'd really like to be able to move 4G Cf cards
7 > (set up generically) between old pentium,
8 > k6, i586, p4 and AthlonXP systems. (that's the goal
9 > not performance, optimized for small binaries).
10 >
11 > OK, so I'm using ext2 on a 4 G CF.
12 >
13 > I want a universal /etc/make.conf file
14 > that will work on old hardware all the way
15 > up to a p4 (32bit) system, and on AMD
16 > (AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2400+)
17 >
18 > So take and look and tell me what I should
19 > change and why. OK?
22 > MARCH =???
23 >
24 > CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"
25
26 make that i586
27
28 > CFLAGS="-Os -march=??? -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
29 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
30 > PORTAGE_NICENESS="1"
31 >
32 > MAKEOPTS="-j2"
33 > USE="-* -nls mmx ncurses ssl crypt berkdb tcpd pam perl pcre \
34 > python readline zlib bzip2 nptl nptlonly syslog"
35 >
36 > Any suggestions on flags are most welcome!
37 > Ideas are most welcome!
38
39 yeah. Pentium4 is such a stupid architecture that anything that runs well on
40 it runs badly on everything else and vice versa.
41
42 Considering that P4 are also among the worst cpus when it comes to energy
43 consumption, why do you waste your time with that crap?