From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:55:38
1 On Friday 28 November 2008 17:08:03 Stroller wrote:
2 > I understood that ReiserFS's trees could become out-of-balance,
3 > resulting in performance loss, and that the way to deal with this was
4 > to tar the contents of the drive to another file-system and then untar
5 > them back.
6
7 That's what I tell people to do.
8
9 My purely anecdotal evidence: I observe that to get a Windows disk to reliably
10 defrag, it should be taken off-line (otherwise it constantly restarts the
11 process). A huge NTFS disk takes ages to defrag, the time involved seems
12 about the same order as simply move the files off, copy them back. One day I
13 may even test this with a stop watch :-)
14
15 As someone else said elsewhere, it's the user's problem to do the right thing
16 with sparse files, symlinks and to remember which files are actually hard
17 links.
20 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com