From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc fails and then succeeds - definitely a problem?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:43:00
1 On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:17:54 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > The gcc update just failed to compile on one of my systems with a
5 > segfault, but then succeeded after trying again even though I didn't
6 > change anything. Does that indicate a hardware problem for sure?
7 > Should I run memtester? Any other tests to run? Nothing in dmesg.
8 >
9 > - Grant
12 Nah, most likely it's a -j<something bigger than 1> issue
13
14 Parallel builds are not deterministic so if the Makefile allows a race
15 condition to develop it's pot luck whether you'll be hit with it or not
18 Alan McKinnnon
19 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com