From: Stefano Crocco <posta@×××××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems resuming from hibernation with Radeon 6700XT card
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 19:50:32
1 Hello to everyone,
2 recently I changed my video card, switching from a Radeon 580RX to a Radeon
3 6700XT. The new card works very well except resuming from hibernation. With
4 the old card, I had a monolithic kernel, with all required driver and the
5 corresponding firmware built in. I tried the same approach with the kernel for
6 the new card, but I found out that the system hung when resuming from
7 hibernation. This happens for all kernel versions I tried, from 5.18.14 to
8 5.18.16.
9
10 The only solution I could find was to build the radeon driver as a module. To
11 avoid having to build an initramfs, I followed the advice given in the Gentoo
12 Radeon page [1], built another framebuffer in the kernel and let udev load the
13 driver and the corresponding firmware later in the initialization process.
14
15 I'm not completely happy with this situation, however: from a practical point
16 of view, the only issue is that, before udev loads the radeon driver, the
17 terminal has a wrong resolution (maybe that can be configured somehow: I didn't
18 try). Since it's just for a couple of seconds, it's not a problem. Still, I
19 don't like to be forced to use a module when it shouldn't be necessary and I'd
20 prefer to go back to my old monolithic setup.
21
22 I tried searching Google for information about this issue, but I couldn't find
23 anything. Does anyone know whether this is possible? Has anyone succeeded in
24 building the radeon driver and firmware in the kernel and having hibernation
25 working correctly? If so, is there some trick to use?
26
27 I attach the .config file for the monolithic, not working kernel:
28 can anyone suggest what I could change to make it work? I also attach the
29 output of dmesg with the monolithic kernel and the one with radeon built as a
30 module. In both cases, I started the system, hibernated it and resumed it.
31
32 Thanks in advance
33
34 Stefano
35
36 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU#Kernel

gentoo-kernel-5.18.14-hibernate-not-working text/plain
dmesg-monolithic-kernel text/plain
dmesg-radeon-as-module text/plain