From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel choices for booting gentoo as guest in vbox vm
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 14:15:10
1 On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Installing gentoo as guest into vbox vm on solaris-11 (openindiana)
3 > HOST
4 > gentoo-17
5 > VBox 5.2.6
6 > Kernel 4.15.0
7 >
8 > My first boot resulted in resulted in a kernel panic... not able to
9 > mount root.
10 >
11 > I checked my /etc/fstab trying to make sure I didn't make a stupid
12 > mistake there... it appear to be sound. (Included at the end of post)
13 >
14 > I suspect it may be the result of a kernel choice... or rather the
15 > lack of one. Something that would have been able to mount /
16 >
17 > I thought it would be ata_piix and made sure that was selected in
18 > kernel .config
19 >
20 > I'm thinking it may be be ata_generic, which I did not have selected.
21 > Which I have now enabled. But I see now, that is for IDE.
22 >
23 > In a chroot now I can see lspci -k shows ata_piix in use .. but that
24 > would probably be because in vbox I have the gentoo install media on
25 > IDE secondary master. But also shows sata controller ahci
26 >
27 > Which I do also have selected in .config. However there a number of
28 > AHCI choices in the kernel config that were not selected.
29 >
30 > Can anyone tell me what they used to allow gentoo in vbox to boot?
34 Did you enable the recommended kernel config options as suggested here [1]?
35 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VirtualBox