From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : (1) which CPU ?
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 04:08:31
1 On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> 120720 Dale wrote to me as OP:
4 >>> If you need help with this, i'd be glad to help you pick parts
5 >>> for your build. The biggest thing is to make sure things work together.
6 >>
7 >> Thanks for the offer & the other advice from everyone so far.
8 >> I built machines successfully in 2000 2003 2007
9 >> & am still using the last 2 , tho' the 2007 mobo failed (ASUS)
10 >> & its replacement is showing minor bugs (glad I got in-store warranty).
11 >> Therefore, I'm not looking for basic advice how to put a box together.
12 >>
13 >> I'm also willing to pay for a fast upto-date CPU,
14 >> but not of course whatever came out just last week,
15 >> which will soon drop in price & will still need some bugs sorting out.
16 >> I don't have to choose between a good CPU & a good SSD
17 >> & expect to get a competitive price from Canada Computers, as before.
18 >>
19 >> Any further thoughts re Intel vs AMD wb very welcome.
20 >>
21 >> --
22 >> ========================,,============================================
23 >> SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
24 >> ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
25 >> TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca
29 > You'd definitely get more bang for your buck out of AMD, especially
30 > with Gentoo. It might even be worth waiting for AMD's piledriver-core
31 > CPUs depending on how much of an improvement they actually give,
32 > though I'm not sure when those are supposed to be out. And paying for
33 > a top-of-the-line AMD CPU is still much cheaper than Intel.
34 >
35 > This is a very broad generalization of course, but a lot of it comes
36 > down to multi-threaded (lean towards AMD) vs single-threaded (lean
37 > towards Intel). Honestly I don't think you'd notice the difference
38 > anyway on a general desktop. I'd pick AMD, and very likely one of
39 > their APUs if you don't need intense graphics, as they seem to be able
40 > to handle most things well and even some light gaming.
41
42 I love AMD for the historical ladder upgrades; all of my AMD systems
43 are comprised of components (RAM, CPU, and other pieces) which mostly
44 came from previous systems or newer systems' replaced components.
45
46 That's nice, and wonderfully cheap.
47
48 That said, right now Intel gives the best performance per watt...and
49 perhaps the best performance per dollar. I'm a few months out of date
50 on my research, though.
51
52 Wander around on cpubenchmark.net (Thanks, Florian, I'd lost my
53 bookmark to that site) and find the processor that fits your price and
54 performance level. Both Intel and AMD make excellent processors, so
55 you'll have to do your own research for a good decision.
59 :wq