From: Nganon <nganon+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to build a time machine on Gentoo
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:54:32
1 On 18 August 2010 14:34, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:14:27 +0200, Maximilian Bräutigam wrote:
4 >
5 > > You should backup all in / except
6 > > /tmp/*
7 > > /sys/*
8 > > /proc/*
9 > > /lost+found/*
10 > > /dev/*
11 >
12 > That backs up a lot of stuff that isn't needed. As long as you have /etc
13 > and /var/lib you can recreate the system. Depending on space vs. time,
14 > you may prefer not to backup the gigabytes in /usr that can be recreated
15 > by portage (although saving /usr/local is a good idea).
18 Thanks a lot for the valuable advice. I have a dozen of scripts in
19 /usr/local/bin
20 that I forgot about.
23 > > By the way, since a new hdd of one TB is pretty cheap, think about
24 > > running your gentoo in a software RAID. Guides:
25 >
26 > RAID is not an alternative to backups, a corrupted filesystem on a RAID is
27 > just as corrupted as if it were on a single disk, you just get extra
28 > copies of the corruption.
31 I did not know that. I was thinking of, in couple of months, buying a
32 notebook
33 with two HDDs with RAID1 installed and using the usb drive as a backup
34 destination. So if RAID got corruped, the backups, made since then, would
35 be
36 useless? How would you resolve it?
39 > Neil Bothwick
40 >
41 > Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?