From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE ridiculous memory usage
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 10:11:15
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 09/19/2010 12:15 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 09/19/2010 11:25 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>>> Apparently, though unproven, at 16:45 on Saturday 18 September 2010,
6 >>>> Florian
7 >>>> Philipp did opine thusly:
8 >>>>
9 >>>>> Hi list!
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> I have a bit of a problem. I'm on KDE-4.4.5 and it eats memory for
12 >>>>> breakfast. Directly after booting, everything is okay but the usage
13 >>>>> grows significantly. I wonder whether this is expected behavior.
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>> The following statistics have been taken after 8 days of uptime
16 >>>>> during
17 >>>>> which the system was on standby most of the time during work days
18 >>>>> and at
19 >>>>> night.
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>> free -m
22 >>>>> total used free shared buffers cached
23 >>>>> Mem: 3754 3588 165 0 57 258
24 >>>>> -/+ buffers/cache: 3271 482
25 >>>>> Swap: 6142 978 5163
26 >>>>> [...]
27 >>>>
28 >>>> Like I posted in another thread today, the memory columns in top do
29 >>>> not mean
30 >>>> what most people think they mean, nor are they simplistic.
31 >>>
32 >>> However, the values reported by "free -m" are somewhat useful and
33 >>> indicate that something is very wrong with memory consumption on his
34 >>> system.
35 >>>
36 >>
37 >> This is my free -m:
38 >>
39 >> root@smoker / # free -m
40 >> total used free shared buffers cached
41 >> Mem: 2024 1934 89 0 380 657
42 >> -/+ buffers/cache: 896 1127
43 >> Swap: 478 0 478
44 >> root@smoker / #
45 >>
46 >> I have less memory installed but if I understand this correctly, I have
47 >> more trouble than he does.
48 >
49 > Why? It reports 896MB usage vs 3271MB in Florian's system. Looks
50 > pretty normal to me.
53 I THINK I read he was up for about 8 days. I had just booted up a
54 little bit ago. Looking at the Mem line, I am using almost all of my
55 memory already. I was also keeping in mind that the OP has about double
56 the memory that I have. I'm just not sure what exactly is wrong with
57 his either. It was more of a question than anything.
58
59 He is using a lot of swap but that can be adjusted by setting the
60 swappiness file with a lower value IF he wants to do that. I have mine
61 set to 20 or so. I prefer to keep as much in memory as possible but at
62 the same time, I don't want to crash if say GIMP gets a little memory
63 hungry when I open 300 images all at once. I did that once. It took a
64 while. lol
65
66 I was always told that Linux uses memory a lot better than most other
67 OS's especially M$. Cache as much as possible and run faster which
68 means it will use all the memory at some point. Mine does that way and
69 always has. Since the kernel handles all this, I'm not sure what the
70 OP can do to fix anything unless it is a kernel bug. Then a upgrade may
71 be the sure. I guess?
72
73 Dale
74