From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd? [ Was: The End Is Near ... ]
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 04:43:15
1 On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 01:18:24AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
2
3 > I'm not sure where you're going with this. We're discussing an init
4 > system and good, simple ways to start services. App maintainers are
5 > going to continue to do whatever they feel they ought to do, some might
6 > write the systemd files, some might not - that is what already
7 > happens. Someone has to write it and what goes in it depends on what
8 > the app code does, not the other way round.
9
10 The point I'm making is that if the initialization is moved into the
11 binary, then the binary will have to be patched/modified/whatever.
12 There's already somebody with a systemd overlay. Assuming that the
13 initialization code gets shoved into the binary, how does it
14 simultaneously support openrc/systemd/linux/bsd/Sun/HPUX/etc/etc? The
15 only realistic answer I see is leaving the init code to the distro
16 maintainer. We don't expect the upstream for sshd or any other software
17 to write Gentoo-specific stuff like ebuilds. Whey should they be
18 expected to write Gentoo-specific initscripts?
19
20 > As for the last question, I really have no idea where you're taking
21 > this. I don't know the answer, I've never been a maintainer in that
22 > position. Being the arrogant shit that I am, I reckon I would probably
23 > tell the user to piss off and I don't support hobby crap. But hey,
24 > that's just what I think I might say while sitting here on my couch.
25
26 So you're saying you wouldn't have supported...
27
28 > From: torvalds@×××××××××××××××.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
29 > Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
30 > Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
31 > Summary: small poll for my new operating system Message-ID: <1991Aug25.205708.9541@×××××××××××××××.FI>
32 > Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT
33 > Organization: University of Helsinki
34 >
35 > Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing a (free) operating
36 > system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for
37 > 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since april, and is starting
38 > to get ready.I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike in
39 > minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the
40 > file-system(due to practical reasons) among other things). I've
41 > currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40),and things seem to
42 > work.This implies that I'll get something practical within a few
43 > months, andI'd like to know what features most people would want.
44 > Any suggestions are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement
45 > them :-) Linus (torvalds@×××××××××××××××.fi) PS. Yes - it's free of
46 > any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs. It is NOT protable
47 > (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never will support
48 > anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.
51 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>