From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2018 09:24:25
1 On 09/11/18 01:16, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy to all,
3 >
4 > I have a interesting problem coming up. Currently, I have two 3TB
5 > drives for my /home mount point. A lot of this is videos but some pdf
6 > files and other documents as well plus a photo collection of family
7 > stuff etc.
8 >
9 > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use%
10 > Mounted on
11 > /dev/mapper/Home2-Home2 5.4T 3.7T 1.8T 68% /home
12 >
13 > I've got a little over 25% or so of usable space left. At that point or
14 > shortly thereafter, it could start causing some issues according to what
15 > I've read anyway. Either way, shortly after that, being full will
16 > certainly be a issue. I'm full up on my motherboard SATA ports. Even
17 > if I buy a larger drive or drives, I'd have to unplug one to move things
18 > over and likely repeat that a few times. I could do that and likely
19 > will have to anyway but I'm trying to think a little farther ahead.
20 > Currently I have the more important stuff backed up to a external single
21 > 6TB USB drive, previous thread on that. I'm trying to come up with a
22 > plan that allows me to grow easier and without having to worry about
23 > running out of motherboard based ports.
24 >
25 Rich's ideas sound good. I'm in a similar situation to you - I'm about
26 to outgrow my existing 3TB setup, but I've got a new 4TB lined up
27 waiting to go (if I can get it to POST).
28
29 Small consumer grade SATA expansions are about £35, you should be able
30 to get a card that does port multiplier for that money, so that's 8 SATA
31 drives on that card. Watch out - while I would recommend them, some
32 cards are advertised as "2 SATA, 2 eSATA". That's only two ports, that
33 can be jumper-switched between SATA or eSATA. Great for backup or
34 disaster recovery as well as expansion.
35
36 Then think about how you're going to lay your filesystem out. My system
37 currently has three partitions (/, /var and /home). Mirrored (md raid 1)
38 onto a second 3TB drive, giving me 6TB total. Actually, not very
39 conducive to future expansion.
40
41 The new system is going to have the bare-metal drives set up as one huge
42 partition (actually not quite true - they'll be a 3TB and a 1TB for
43 practical reasons). The 3TB partitions will be raided into a raid 5 with
44 one of the old drives. The 1TB partitions will be raid 1 (system and
45 home, basically).
46
47 I'll then put lvm on the two raids before actually partitioning that to
48 give me /, /home, and anything else I want.
49
50 At this point, I can now replace any of the drives, grow my raid, my
51 lvm, or my partitions, at any time and underneath a running system
52 (okay, I don't have hotplug so I'd have to shut down the system to
53 physically swap a drive over, but ...).
54
55 And I'm thinking about btrfs, but the one thing you have to be really
56 careful with that is snapshots running out of space.
57
58 Cheers,
59 Wol