From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PostgreSQL Vs MySQL @Uber
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 23:01:26
1 On Saturday 30 Jul 2016 06:38:01 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 6:24 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > On 29/07/2016 22:58, Mick wrote:
5 > >> Interesting article explaining why Uber are moving away from PostgreSQL.
6 > >> I am
7 > >> running both DBs on different desktop PCs for akonadi and I'm also
8 > >> running
9 > >> MySQL on a number of websites. Let's which one goes sideways first. :p
10 > >>
11 > >> https://eng.uber.com/mysql-migration/
12 > >
13 > > I don't think your akonadi and some web sites compares in any way to Uber
14 > > and what they do.
15 > >
16 > > FWIW, my Dev colleagues support and entire large corporate ISP's
17 > > operational and customer data on PostgreSQL-9.3. With clustering. With no
18 > > db-related issues :-)
19 >
20 > Agree, you'd need to be fairly large-scale to have their issues, but I
21 > think the article was something anybody interested in databases should
22 > read. If nothing else it is a really easy to follow explanation of
23 > the underlying architectures.
24 >
25 > I'll probably post this to my LUG mailing list. I think one of the
26 > Postgres devs lurks there so I'm curious to his impressions.
27 >
28 > I was a bit surprised to hear about the data corruption bug. I've
29 > always considered Postgres to have a better reputation for data
30 > integrity.
31
32 Yes, same here, I would be interested to hear what the Postgres dev says,
33 should he respond to it.
36 Regards,
37 Mick