From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't emerge gentoo-sources from sysrescd-1.2.0
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:58:40
1 On Wednesday 10 June 2009 22:44:51 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > I thought that this was the fault of my dialup connection at home but
5 > now I find it's doing it at the wifi spot in the library.
6 >
7 > I'm following the quick-install guide and got to 'code listing 2-19'.
8 > Portage goes through the mirror addresses but can't resolve any; as if
9 > there were no connection. But here I am in gmail ;(
10 >
11 > Here's the tail end of #emerge gentoo-sources
12 > ...
13 > Resolving gentoo.osuosl.org... failed: Temporary failure in name
14 > resolution.
15
16 How long does this step take?
17
18 If it fails immediately (unlikely) then you have no connectivity to your name
19 servers.
20 If it takes 30 seconds, then you have broken name servers.
21
22 Check what's in /etc/resolv.conf, use dig to see what comes back and change
23 your name servers as necessary.
24
25 Failing that, change your mirror or just download that file manually from
26 gentoo.org.
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com