From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 20:31:05
1 On Thu, February 20, 2014 06:24, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:50 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, February 18, 2014 15:37, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 3:54 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
5 >>> wrote:
6
7 <snipped>
8
9 >> Same question applies, can I disable these code-paths during
10 >> compile-time?
11 >
12 > No you can't; if you wanted the journal to work exactly as rsyslog (or
13 > syslog-ng), then there is no reason to use the journal. Its raison
14 > d'être is the new features it brings.
15 >
16 > If you don't want those features, don't use the journal.
17
18 Which means, don't use systemd, as it's all or nothing there.
19
20 >> I do not see the need to have to spend time to change working code to be
21 >> able to handle different formats.
22 >
23 > Well, I prefer it when someone does the work for me.
24
25 So do I, but I doubt the systemd developers are willing to change all my
26 scripts and monitoring tools to work with systemd.
27
28 >> Additionally, the use of "tail -f" and "grep" allows me to check the
29 >> logs
30 >> real-time for debugging purposes.
31 >
32 > journalctl -f
33 >
34 > Checks the logs in real time. Again, [1].
35 >
36 >> Having to use a seperate tool that converts some proprietary binary
37 >> format
38 >> to human readable/scriptable single-line logs makes no sense.
39 >
40 > Its not proprietary; the source code is available, you can write your
41 > own parser if you want. The binary format is to be able to do O(log n)
42 > searches, that's it. It's a performance optimization.
43
44 The specification for Office Open XML is also available. I do not see
45 Libreoffice or Openoffice properly supporting that yet either, even though
46 there is great demand and a large development team (with sufficient
47 financing) available.
48
49 >> It all sounds too much like the MS Windows Event-viewer to me.
50 >
51 > Never used it.
52
53 It's a binary, indexed logging system that is part of the OS. Sounds
54 similar to journald.
55
56 >> Too many events with no usefull logging information (And I am referring
58 >> OS-level messages as to why default services are not starting)
59 >
60 > systemctl status apache2.service
61 >
62 > (see [2]) will print the status of the Apache web server, and also the
63 > last lines from the logs. You can control how many lines. You can
64 > check also with the journal, as I showed up.
65
66 /etc/init.d/apache2 status will also tell me if it is running.
67 And which logs?
68 On a host with only 1 domain pointing to it, I have 6 logfiles for apache.
69 And that is the default configuration.
70
71 And what I was referring to was the useless info found in the event-log
72 for services that are not written to actually use it.
75 Joost