From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resizing physical volume for lvm.
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:19:45
1 On Monday 23 March 2009 20:16:15 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 22 March 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Caveat: I have no idea why this doesn't work, but if you make sda4 an
4 > > extended partition and create sda5 as a logical with exactly the same
5 > > start and end as you describe above, you do in fact lose all data.
6 > > Obviously there is a difference between a physical and a logical
7 > > partition with the same location, but I don't know why this is.
8 >
9 > I think that this is because the extended partition contains the extended
10 > partition table at its boot sector. A primary partition at the same
11 > position does not and therefore has a different offset. Having spent some
12 > interesting white-knuckle-ride moments with testdisk, I realised that
13 > carelessly switching between primary and extended/logical partitions is not
14 > something I would like to try again - unless I am playing around in a test
15 > environment.
16
17 Yes, that makes sense. Also explains why you can't just switching them around
18 without side-effects
19
20 > > Which is a pity, as 4 logical partitions is a little too constrictive,
21 >
22 > Do you mean primary?
23
24 Yes - that was a thinko :-0