From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:24:57
1 On Monday 15 February 2010 20:20:53 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > >> And *IF* some application is interested in the such information,
4 > >> why not just using the filesystem ?
5 > >
6 > > Because on flash-drives (Which are used in small devices and netbooks)
7 > > you don't want every single status update to be written to the
8 > > filesystem. And with minimal memory, I don't want to have a ram-disk
9 > > gobbling up the memory I have.
10 >
11 > Why not simply using tmpfs ?
12 > Or an specific synthetic filesystem ? 9P makes this really easy,
13 > and network agnostic.
14
15 Netbook: 1GB of ram, with Linux, I can easily run all the software I want ,
16 without need of any swap.
17 Can I do the same with 9P? Eg. will I be able to run all the software I use on
18 my netbook without having to spent time on porting it all?
19 Is also all the hardware supported in 9P? Linux supports all the hardware in
20 my netbook.
21
22 Unless the answer to this is a 100% yes, 9P is never going to be an option.
25 Joost