From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: back up gentoo system
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 22:35:23
1 On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 07 May 2008 17:16:01 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
3 >
4 > > >> Why not put ext* or reiserfs or whatever on such a drive?
5 > > >
6 > > > Because you need to access it from Windows too?
7 > >
8 > > To a backup device? Why?
9 >
10 > Don't Windows users need to backup?
13 > --
14 > Neil Bothwick
15
16 Funny you should bring this up. Last week I was trying to get Gentoo
17 onto my laptop but it wasn't stable. Problems in the kernel that
18 aren't fixed earlier than 2.6.25 so I did a 'stage4' backup to save my
19 work. It now resides on a USB disk.
20
21 The machine itself had seemed somewhat unstable under Windows.
22 Possibly it was the memory I bought from Crucial a couple of months
23 ago. They've so I've just today done a complete restore of Win Vista
24 from the HP Recovery Disk. (This is the firs full restore. In the
25 middle I tried to get XP on the machine but there aren't any XP
26 drivers for some of the hardware in the system, etc., so I gave up.)
27 Anyway, I now have a Win Vista Home Premium install, clean when it
28 finishes virus scan.
29
30 I'm thinking I might as well treat data like data and just back up the
31 windows partition just like I back up the Gentoo partitions, using
32 Stage4 to do that and creating something I can reinstall using Gentoo
33 quite easily.
34
35 The only risky portion might be the quality of a Linux-based NTFS
36 reinstall from the tar file but it seems I have little to lose by
37 doing this.
38
39 Any comments?
40