From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] ttyUSB not showing up
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 05:50:32
1 Thelma
2 On 03/11/2017 10:11 PM, Dale wrote:
3 > thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >> I have serial to USB converter, want to connect fax/modem to it.
5 >>
6 >> In kernel:
7 >> CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=y
8 >> CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=y
9 >> CONFIG_USB_OHCI_LITTLE_ENDIAN=y
10 >> CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=y
11 >> CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD_PCI=y
12 >> # CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD_PLATFORM is not set
13 >>
14 >> lsusb (device is showing up)
15 >> ...
16 >> Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0711:0230 Magic Control Technology Corp. MCT-232 Serial Port
17 >>
18 >> but the system did not create ttyUSB entry in /dev.
19 >>
20 >> How to create ttyUSB? I couldn't find any instructions on how is it done in Gentoo.
23 > I'm not sure on this but I did google a bit. Does this help?
24 >
25 > https://txlab.wordpress.com/2016/06/14/udev-rules-for-ttyusb-devices/
26 >
27 > I would think the udev rules would work in Gentoo as well.
28 >
29 > Dale
30 >
31 > :-) :-)
32
33 Thanks for speedy reply. I found it.
34 I was missing in kernel: CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_MCT_U232=y
35 Enable it and ttyUSB0 showed up.
36
37 Hylafax works perfect over it.
38
39 My ttyS0 on my motherboard (I have only one) is toasted. I don't even
40 know how to trouble shoot serial COM port. I was able to send a fax out
41 but did not receive any fax for over several months (and I get at least
42 few spam faxes a month). So after upgrade when I stared to test Hylafax
43 I realized I have a problem. I couldn't receive faxes from remote server.
44 The modem lights were ON, it worked as I was turning it ON/OFF via "init
45 q". So I never suspected I have a problem with COM port on the motherboard.
46
47 When I use the same equipment and line with my other backup servers I
48 was able to receive faxes just find. So I narrow it down to COM port.
49 I dusted up an old USB serial adapter connected modem to it and can
50 send/receive faxes perfectly. It took me all Saturday to figure it out :-/
53 Thelma