From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux make modules fails
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 06:56:11
1 On 5/18/06, Justin Findlay <jfindlay@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > is this a single command? Mine only prints out:
3 >
4 > make -rR -f /usr/src/linux-2.6.17-rc4/scripts/Makefile.modpost
5 > scripts/mod/modpost -m -a -o
6 > /usr/src/linux-2.6.17-rc4/Module.symvers vmlinux
7
8 Yep, that is a single command that includes all of the module .o files
9 to process.
10
11 > and that's it. I've been looking at scripts/mod/modpost.c and I guess
12 > it wants the object files on the command line, and they aren't being
13 > supplied.
14
15 I think the failing is in scripts/Makefile.modpost. However this
16 makefile is quite convoluted, and beyond my understanding with only a
17 5-minute investement. I know that somewhere in there is supposed to
18 expand a full list of modules to call modpost with. And for some
19 reason, you are getting an empty list of modules here...
20
21 What version of gcc are you using? I know 3.4.x works, not so sure
22 about later versions...
23
24 Again, emerge --info might provide some more insight...
25
26 -Richard
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list