From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: beegfs goes opensource!
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 23:02:29
1 On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 12:48:21 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > > Excellent point about the license. Did the license stop zfs folks
4 > > from enjoying zfs? I know the zfs license stops some commercial folks
5 > > from deploy/using zfs. And zfs is not a routine choice in the
6 > > installation docs for gentoo.....
7 >
8 > I recall a list conversation about this, explaining that it would be
9 > trivial for someone who knows how to do ebuilds, to have their own
10 > ZFS-in-kernel system available, and that it would also be possible to
11 > accomplish this via an overlay...
12
13 When I was playing with ZFS I was able to build it into the kernel (by
14 unmasking a USE flag) so I could boot from it without an initramfs.
15
16 IMO the main problem with ZFS on Linux is that it is based on a fairly
17 old version. Oracle have not released the sources for the recent
18 versions, so useful stuff like encryption is missing, and always will be.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 ... We are Dyslexics of Borg. Your ass will be laminated.