From: Kaddeh <kaddeh@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo decapitated
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 05:13:58
1 have you tried emergeing x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev and
2 x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse on their own without xorg?
3
4 Cheers
5
6 Kad
7
8 On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
9
10 > About a week ago, my Gentoo box was in a bad state where there were some
11 > packages that would not install, so I was carefully emerging what I could
12 > and filed a bug about one in particular that I could not emerge.
13 >
14 > Then I got a new kernel, 2.6.32-gentoo-r7, and I booted from it. Eeeek. No
15 > X11 at all.
16 > The logs informed me about some things to do, and I did them, re-emerging a
17 > number of things. I paid particular attention to emerging anything with x11
18 > or xorg in its name.
19 > Long wait.
20 > I got to a point somewhere in there where X11 started, but would recognize
21 > neither keyboard nor mouse.
22 > I kept going. The keyboard started to work. I could actually log in, but
23 > that's not all that useful without a mouse.
24 > Then I started getting complaints about USE flags needed to make some
25 > particular packages support some other packages. I did those too.
26 > Now I'm at the state where "emerge -aDNvu" denies there's any work to do,
27 > and revdep-rebuild reports health.
28 > Still no mouse.
29 > Fortunately, I have a laptop that can ssh into the box and I can work with
30 > it, but it's still essentially headless.
31 > Anybody run into this state recently?
32 > If there's a quick fix, I'd rather not make another bug.
33 > --
34 > Kevin O'Gorman, PhD