From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: but cool - NASDAQ is gentoo powered
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:37:16
1 On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > This is related to a question I wanted to poll the list with. How does
3 > everybody here use Gentoo? For personal use? Production use? For
4 > server, desktop or embedded roles? What's your most interesting setup
5 > or use case?
6
7 Gentoo at home as my only OS since 2003. Previously I used DOS in the
8 80's and OS/2 in the 90's, with a little Slackware dual-booting as my
9 first taste of Linux in the olden-days. I use it at home for
10 web/email/programming/gaming/photo and video editing/media server/etc.
11
12 Gentoo on my laptop since 2004. My first amd64 install, and my first
13 (and last) experience with ati-drivers. :)
14
15 A few months ago I set up a virtual Gentoo server (at vr.org) which
16 hosts my DNS server, email, http server, etc. So far that has been
17 working great and I'm learning a lot. I'm going to migrate my domains
18 to it from other hosting providers. I must establish a proper backup
19 routine before I do that, though.