From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Being Facebook member: How to anon?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 16:45:32
1 On Monday, 23 October 2017 16:56:40 BST tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > On 10/23 09:56, Stroller wrote:
3 > > > On 22 Oct 2017, at 16:50, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > for its invasive nature and its data gathering I really dont like
6 > > > facebook.
7 > > >
8 > > > And now it seems that I cant with out it:
9 > > > There is a HUGE user group for the Creality CR-10 3D printer there
10 > > > and veryone and everything is referencing it.
11 > > >
12 > > > My question is:
13 > > > Are there ways (and which ones) to become member of facebook
14 > > > just to read and write to this user grout (like a mailinglist)
15 > > > and keep the impact on privacy an personal fingerprinting as
16 > > > small as ever possible?
17 > >
18 > > I joined Facebook for the first time this week, for similar reasons as,
19 > > and with similar reservations to, you.
20 > >
21 > > When people upload a photo of you, it performs facial recognition and they
22 > > can "tag" you as being in the photo. You don't have to upload a photo of
23 > > yourself (I'm thinking of trying one in sunglasses) and in the privacy
24 > > settings you're also able to forbid people from tagging you.
25 > >
26 > > There are quite granular settings to allow anyone but friends to see or
27 > > post on your timeline - I was quite impressed by how much privacy appears
28 > > to be available to users. I suspect this allows you more privacy from you
29 > > family and colleagues than it does from Facebook, though.
30 > >
31 > > Stroller.
32 >
33 > Hi,
34 >
35 > thanks a lot for all the input...it seems not only my problem which I have
36 > with facehook.
37 >
38 > I will try th docker-way at first.
39 > But: I am a total (in words: "total") newbie when it comes to docker.
40 > And as I want "only" to encapsulate my inner self from the faces in that
41 > book (and for the first dont need to explore the huge planet of
42 > docker)...does one know of a good documentation for that
43 > purpose...something like:
44 > "Facebook for Dummies: How to use docker for anon access to facebook"
45 > ...or something like that ... ;)
46 >
47 > Cheers
48 > Meino
49
50 Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't using a new vanilla FF profile as
51 good as it needs to be to protect your privacy in this use case? Facebook
52 will not be able to collect cookies from your previous life or anything else,
53 because this will be a new fresh profile. Store it on /tmp/Facebook/ and it
54 will be cleared out next time you reboot. Fingerprinting will show a new FF
55 vanilla profile, your OS, etc., but I guess this is innocuous enough. It goes
56 without saying you should not use Adobe Flash. If you do 'rm -Rf ~/.adobe/
57 Flash_Player/' before and after.
58
59 Other than the above, Facebook will collect everything you enter into it,
60 name, email address, etc.
61
62 If you want your IP address to remain private, use Tor. Sometimes it becomes
63 congested and busy, try a different time of the day. The NSA/GCHQ and friends
64 are known to carry out DoS attacks to frustrate users who are trying to remain
65 anonymous.
66
67 I just think Docker, LXC, VMs and what not, are quite an overkill, but perhaps
68 I'm underestimating the degree of privacy you seek to achieve.
69 --
70 Regards,
71 Mick