From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another openoffice build failure
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:29:04
1 On Saturday 02 September 2006 14:10, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 9/2/06, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
3 > > Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-minimal.c: 137: realloc:
4 > > Assertion `new == ptr' failed!
5 >
6 > Well this looks suspiciously like a hardware problem to me, but it
7 > could also be simply running out of memory. Can you try:
8 >
9 > MAKEOPTS=-j1 emerge --oneshot openoffice
10
11 A cheap way to get more memory:
12
13 o wipe a USB key clean (back it up though!)
14 o mkspwap /dev/sda1 or whereever your usb memory stick is
15 o swapon all
16
17 those commands might not be totally right, but they're a start (it's
18 been a while)
19
20 > You might also want to add a fan to blow on your laptop while the
21 > build is running... :-)
22
23 Something I've been known to do is leave it in the fridge. It works,
24 and that's all the matters, right?
25
26 Just make sure you don't leave it in there too long next to something
27 that spoils easily. I also find it's somehow good for your battery. I
28 left my cell phone in the fridge overnight once and the battery somehow
29 found itself capable of carrying more load than before.
30
31 If you don't want to risk it, just plug you pc in and remove the battery
32 before you put it in the fridge. You may want to consider bocking off
33 fan openings to prevent condensation if you're fridge has a habit of
34 nasty condensation.
35
36 DO NOT STICK IT IN THE FREEZER! That has a tendency to shrink the
37 hardware and make it brittle. I also don't want to find out (even
38 vicariously) what it'll do to a screen.
41 http://lordsauronthegreat.googlepages.com/