From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Source Code?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 06:27:36
1 On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 23:40 -0600, Raj Swaminathan wrote:
2
3 > Can anybody tell me where i can obtain open source code for gentoo.
4
5 If you're _running_ Gentoo it's easy, as you have to download most of
6 the source code to install it. However, given that you're doing this to
7 lots of distro's, I assume you're not installing each distro...
8
9 > Im particularly looking for code for programs in /bin and /sbin.
10
11 Ah, quite a lot of programs install things into /bin. Do you mean just
12 the "base" set of programs? then there's not much in there at all.
13 They're probably all in 'coreutils' or 'baselayout' (no doubt others
14 will give you more package names)
15
16 > I am on a project to find out how different distros implement a few of
17 > these programs. So far i have only been lucky with OpenSolaris and
18 > FreeBSD.
19
20 You should have luck with gentoo, as every gentoo mirror should carry
21 the source code. Go to http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml to
22 find mirrors, and then navigate to your.mirror/gentoo/distfiles where
23 you will find the source code (pretty much anything in there that
24 doesn't have a -bin in the name is source code for something :)
25
26 for example, coreutils-5.3.0.tar.bz2 or baselayout-1.12.0_pre10.tar.bz2
27
28 However: gentoo does it slightly differently: Instead of downloading
29 the patched source code, as you would in, say, fedora, gentoo downloads
30 the original untouched source from the program's site, and applies
31 "gentoo" patches.
32
33 To find out the patches, without running gentoo becomes a little
34 trickier. I'd personally download a "portage snapshot":
35 your.mirror/gentoo/snapshots/portage-20060112.tar.bz2 (~20Mb), then look
36 at the directories in there:
37
38 /usr/portage/sys-apps/baselayout
39 /usr/portage/sys-apps/coreutils
40
41 In each directory you will see a list of *.ebuild files, which are the
42 "rules" for building this package.
43
44 If you get this far and want me to keep going about ebuilds, just post
45 back to the list.
46
47 HTH,
51 The best way to make a fire with two sticks is to make sure one of them
52 is a match.
53 -- Will Rogers
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list