From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The device-mapper init script is written for baselayout-2
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 08:31:07
1 On Sunday 09 March 2008, Dale wrote:
2 > If he uses LVM then he may need it.  You are right on the baselayout
3 > but this got installed here when I was playing around with LVM.  I
4 > would hate for him to be using LVM and not have this when he reboots.
5 >  I didn't see any mention of this in the original post.  He may not
6 > use LVM but if he does. . . .
7 >
8 > Also note, I have not used/installed baselayout to version 2 either
9 > but I still have this installed and it is needed by something else,
10 > that I may not need either.  I haven't went that far here.
11
12 This thread is interesting, mostly because I think I'm the only poster
13 so far that thought to actually read the init script:
14
15 =================
16 alan@nazgul ~ $ cat /etc/init.d/device-mapper
17 #!/sbin/runscript
18 # Copyright 1999-2007 Gentoo Foundation
19 # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
20 #
21 $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/sys-fs/device-mapper/files/device-mapper.rc-1.02.22-r3,v
22 1.5 2008/02/01 12:39:47 flameeyes Exp $
23
24 depend() {
25 if [ -e /lib/librc.so ]; then
26 # on baselayout-1 this causes
27 # a dependency loop with checkroot (before *)
28 after modules
29 before checkfs fsck
30 fi
31 }
32
33 start() {
34 if [ ! -e /lib/librc.so ]; then
35 eerror "The ${SVCNAME} init script is written for
36 baselayout-2"
37 eerror "Please do not use it with baselayout-1"
38 return 1
39 fi
40
41 start_addon dm
42 }
44
45 /lib/librc.so is not present under baselayout-1. So depend() evaluates
46 to a null statement and start() WILL exit without running any code.
47
48 All the OP needs do is remove device-mapper from his default runlevel.
52 Alan McKinnon
53 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
56 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list