From: glen martin <lists@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] mail to this list from home fails, but from home relayed through ISP works
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 15:04:16
1 This isn't the case of subscribing through work and sending from home or
2 whatever. In both cases I sent from home, indeed from the same account
3 in the same mail client. Only the path the message took to
4 list.gentoo.org changed.
5
6 I hadn't posted to this for quite a while until recently. When I did so
7 again a few days ago, the message hung up in my outgoing queue and I got
8 this message in the log:
9
10 May 7 16:09:56 texada postfix/smtp[23864]: 7D46150B55:
11 to=<gentoo-user@l.g.o>,
12 relay=lists.gentoo.org[140.105.134.102], delay=15242, status=deferred
13 (host lists.gentoo.org[140.105.134.102] said: 421 4.4.1 collect: read
14 timeout on connection from m198-163.dsl.rawbw.com,
15 from=<lists@××××××××.org> (in reply to end of DATA command))
16
17 I let it stew for a couple of hours in case this was a greylist thing,
18 and subsequent resends did the same thing.
19
20 I switched my client to relay though my ISP's MX, and the message went
21 through fine.
22
23 I'm guessing I'm running afoul of some anti-spam measure. Perhaps it is
24 a case of reverse-DNS points to my ISP and not to my own domain, but a
25 near-infinite number of people must share that condition. Or maybe my
26 mailer is just misconfigured in some narrow way that none of my
27 correspondents have had trouble with until now.
28
29 I'd like to fix my system and lose the outbound relay, having something
30 of an ideological opposition to my mail going through relays. Does
31 anyone know what is going on here?
32
33 Thanks,
34