From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] bonding round-robin for scaling bandwidth for a single flow
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 04:44:37
1 I've been trying to replicate the results from;
2 https://louwrentius.com/linux-network-interface-bonding-trunking-or-how-to-get-beyond-1-gbs.html
3
4 To get over 1 Gig throughput for a single flow out of a 2x1GB bonded
5 connection. Presumably its only client→server file transfers that are over
6 1GB, as in this configuration the server is using LACP.
7
8 The setup is per the above, so; Switch: Netgear GS716Tv3 Client: bond uses
9 'Bonding Mode: load balancing (round-robin)'. The switch is configured as a
10 static trunk for those two ports Server: bond uses 'IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic
11 link aggregation' with Transmit Hash Policy: layer3+4 (shouldnt matter),
12 and the switch is configured as an LACP trunk for those two ports.Testing
13 using iperf3.
14
15 I can see the Client sending roughly equal numbers of packets down both
16 interfaces, so it looks like round-robin is working fine. The responses
17 from the server come back on a single interface, but i'm assuming that's ok
18 as they're just acks. Wireshark says the packet capture of the bond
19 interface of the server is full of 'dup ack', 'previous segment not
20 captured', 'tcp out of order' which I assume means that there's packet
21 forwarding jitter on the low end switch. Perhaps it could work with a
22 better switch?
23
24 Thanks for any ideas on this.