From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage-2.2.0_alpha38 & --depclean
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 00:02:41
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > OK, now we're tracking.
3 >
4 > In the specific case of less, the answer is self-evident - it isn't needed. A
5 > dev would just know that. More likely, he would assume he knows that.
6 >
7 > In the general case, they suck their thumbs and guess. Some think more than
8 > others before they guess, they should all do some basic tests to catch severe
9 > errors before committing changes and additions, and all of them rely on
10 > unstable users finding other oddities and bugs.
11 >
12 > flameeyes gave some hints and clues into how this works on his blog recently:
13 >
14 > http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2011/05/25/psa-packages-failing-to-install-with-new-
15 > openrc-based-stages-missing-users-and-groups
16 >
17 > It's specific to openrc, but if you follow his blog it's easy to read between
18 > the lines to see what he's getting at usually.
19 >
20 > I don't think I've ever met a dev that releases code any other way :-)
21 >
22 > None of the above is fact and all of it is my opinion but I do think I'm close
23 > to the mark.
27 OK. This is todays version.
28
29 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
30
31 Calculating dependencies... done!
32 [ebuild R *] sys-apps/portage-2.2.0_alpha38 USE="(ipc) less%*
33 -build -doc -epydoc -python2 -python3 (-selinux)" LINGUAS="-pl" 810 kB
34 [ebuild R ] net-print/hplip-3.10.9-r1 USE="X hpcups kde libnotify
35 parport (policykit) qt4 -acl% -doc -fax -hpijs -minimal -scanner -snmp
36 -static-ppds (-udev-acl%)" 21,307 kB
37
38 So, they added a USE flag to get less back on track. Does that mean we
39 can all remove it from world now?
40
41 This is not just for me but for others as well.
42
43 Dale
44