From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] ESATA drive changes the root device -- how to deal with it?
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:06:20
1 Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 11 Jun 2009, at 16:37, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >> On Donnerstag 11 Juni 2009, walt wrote:
5 >>> ...
6 >>> The problem is that I also have a plug-in ESATA docking station, which
7 >>> is not always powered on. When it *is* powered on, my kernel names the
8 >>> disk /dev/sda, and that forces the root device to be named /dev/sdb
9 >>> instead of sda. Crashing ensues during bootup.
10 >>> ...
11 >>> I've tried using a disk label in fstab instead of a device name, but the
12 >>> problem is that the kernel mounts the wrong partition before it has a
13 >>> chance to read fstab.
15 >> afaik you can use labels in grubtoo.
16 >
17 > I believe you need an initrd/initramfs in order to do so.
18 >
19 > See Neil Bothwick's first post:
20 > http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@l.g.o/msg81584.html
21
22 That's a very interesting link, thanks.