From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists.
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 18:18:03
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 06:16:12AM -0600 schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >>>> What does it try to do in simple terms?  Or, how would I use it may be a
5 >>>> better question?
6 >>> Look at my mail from 23.10., it has a textual description (the one with the
7 >>> file tree): it basically wraps the old script over all files.
8 >>>
9 >>> You have a directory 'A' with videos and a subdirectory 'A/temp' with new
10 >>> videos. Start the script in A and it will go through all files in A/temp and
11 >>> ask you what to do with each – skip (do nothing), keep (move to A without
12 >>> renaming), or overwrite a certain file in A (keeping the extension), which is
13 >>> the same as the old script.
14 >> OK.  I think I get it.  It's kinda like dispatch-conf except it is for
15 >> files not lines in a file.  No 'merge' option tho. Kinda hard to merge a
16 >> video.  lol
17 >>
18 >> I may try that sometime.  I may copy the files to a different location
19 >> just in case I screw up something. It won't be the real files so no harm
20 >> if I botch it.
21 > Always have a backup. ;-)
22 > I deny any responsibility for data loss. :-P
23 >
24 > If you want to try it before doing real stuff: you could comment the two
25 > lines where it says 'mv -f' and 'rm -f'. Then it won’t do anything, but
26 > there are still progress messages being printed.
27
28 I update my backups every week.  I'm going to order another hard drive
29 in a couple weeks.  I'm looking at a 16TB.  I've got to build a rig so I
30 can use LVM on two drives.  That 16TB won't last long with this new
31 fiber internet.  I still wish I could back up a large directory and
32 split it into two parts.  Have one part be directories starting with A
33 through L and second one start with M and go through to Z.  That would
34 roughly split it into two pieces.  Then I could use two drives for that
35 directory.  I use rsync but don't know of a way to split it.
36
37 My biggest concern, I may do the wrong thing and mess up something.  I
38 have some videos that are hard to find.
41 >> P. S.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to change the resolution of all
42 >> videos in a directory.  Usually going from 1080p to 720p.  If you have a
43 >> script for that, awesome.
44 > I use ffmpeg for all my encoding stuff, and have been using wrapper scripts
45 > for years now to make things easier. However, none of them has resized yet.
46 > It’s not difficult to configure, but the wrapper needs much more logic. As
47 > in: find out the current resolution, see if it is actually larger, then
48 > calculate the new resolution while keeping the aspect intact and so on.
51 I found commands for it but not a way to process lots of videos.  Right
52 now, I use the queue feature of handbrake.  I set up a preset to make it
53 the same each time.  I set it to 720p and about 3MB data rate.  Should
54 be OK for my 32" TV.
57 >> I'm currently using handbrake and it works but there may be a better way.
58 > I know handbrake by name, have been aware of it for many a year, but never
59 > used it. In my Windows days I used VirtualDub for my editing stuff, and on
60 > Linux I’ve always used commandline tools, beginning with mencoder back in
61 > the day.
64 I tried Kdenlive but couldn't figure it out.  It may work better but if
65 I can't figure it out, it isn't much help.  lol
66
67 Dale
68