From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No beep.
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 04:38:41
1 On 14 August 2017 20:22:54 GMT+02:00, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 >Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 >I've almost got my new(ish) machine up and running. In particular,
5 >I've
6 >got an email server (s/qmail) running on it, the most difficult part of
7 >bringing up a new box.
8 >
9 >However, during the building, I discovered to my disgust that there was
10 >no loudspeaker in my new case. So, none of the helpful booting beeps
11 >that the motherboard uses to tell us that something's wrong. Still, I
12 >got past that stage.
13 >
14 >But just typing into a virtual tty, sometimes the system (should) beep.
15 >It doesn't. It should.
16 >
17 >It should, because I compiled the kernel with CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP
18 >and CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP_MODE set to 1.
19 >
20 >My loudspeakers are working, as shown by running speaker-test. I'm
21 >using the kernel I think I am, verified by checking those two config
22 >settings in /proc/config.gz.
23 >
24 >Would somebody please suggest to me where I am going wrong, here?
25 >
26 >Thanks!
27
28 Silly question, but did you check the volume settings?
31 Joost
32 --
33 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.