From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI data corruption?
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 19:58:37
1 On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 13:05:23 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > > That's how I do it on non-EFI systems, on UEFI machines, I always
4 > > > make /boot a FAT partition and use it as the ESP too.
5 > >
6 > > I'll try that. Thanks Neil.
7 >
8 > Hmm ... I think we're saying the same thing, but I may have lost the
9 > thread:
10 >
11 > On non-UEFI systems I use an MBR partition table, create a partition
12 > and set it as Linux type (82), format it with ext2 and mount it under
13 > the /boot mountpoint. Then drop my kernels in there and install the
14 > boot manager files (GRUB).
15
16 I use a GPT table even on non-EFI systems, because it is inherently more
17 robust than a DOS partition table, thanks to the backup copy of the table
18 stored on the disk. That in turn requires the protective MBR layer.
19
20 > On UEFI systems I create an ESP partition type, format it with a VFAT
21 > filesystem, then mount it under the /boot mountpoint. Then drop my
22 > kernels in there (I use the efi kernel stub to boot directly these
23 > kernels, rather than a boot manager like GRUB).
24
25 Same here for the first part, but I do use a boot manager because it
26 makes it easier to, well, manage the boot. I use the systemd boot
27 manager, I previously used it in its standalone incarnation, but I can't
28 remember the name right now. This is a simple boot manager, a 2 line
29 default config file and another 3 lines for each kernel (fewer if you
30 don't use an initramfs). All it does is manage the kernels, it is not a
31 full-blown bootloader like GRUB.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%.