From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ro /
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:35:22
1 Michael Morak wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have a similar setup. The problem is that some of your services may
5 > still have open handles on files that no longer exist after updating
6 > (i.e. the service, when originally started, opened an .so library file
7 > that it needs to run, but the file then gets deleted or replaced
8 > during the emerge -u). Simply restart all services (and other running
9 > programs) that have locks on files that were updated.
10 >
11 > The reason those files do not show up in your lsof command is that
12 > they may not be open for writing but only for reading. A read lock on
13 > a file may still give you the "/ is busy" message, since the
14 > open-for-read file cannot be (fully) deleted while a running
15 > application still has a lock on it. You have to get the process to
16 > release the read lock on the file (which, for libraries, is usually
17 > done by a restart).
18 >
19 > Hope this helps.
20 >
21 > Cheers,
22 > Michael
25 When I do a upgrade and need to know what processes or services need to
26 be restarted, I use this command that someone posted about on here a
27 long time ago.
30 root@fireball / # equery b checkrestart
31 * Searching for checkrestart ...
32 app-admin/checkrestart-0.47-r3 (/usr/sbin/checkrestart)
33 root@fireball / # eix checkrestart
34 [I] app-admin/checkrestart
35 Available versions: (~)0.47-r3{tbz2} ~0.47-r4
36 {PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"}
37 Installed versions: 0.47-r3{tbz2}(01:37:05 AM
38 08/08/2016)(PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7")
39 Homepage: http://arcdraco.net/checkrestart
42 root@fireball / #
45 Maybe that will point out something as well.
46
47 Dale
48