From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Broken install?
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 02:48:39
1 OK, something weird is going on with a new install I just did. I might
2 have hosed /dev. I though udev takes card of /dev?
3
4 When I boot the new install, I get a kernel panic about the root= line
5 in my grub.conf. So from the grub boot menu I press c and entered:
6
7 root (hd0,0)
8 Filesytem type is reiserfs...
9
10 kernel /boot/kern[TAB] (grub auto-completes) root=/dev[TAB]
11 Error 11: Unrecongnized device string.
12
13 Did I break something or forget something?
14
15 I booted into the gentoo install CD and mounted /dev/sda1 and /dev on my
16 disk is empty. I started to mknod some devices, however that could take
17 all night. Besides, I thought udev handles that? Or do I need a base
18 set of device files for the kernel until udev kicks in?
19
20 Jim
21 --
23 There's no place like 127.0.0.1