From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seamonkey automatic email download after switch to Oauth2
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 09:31:24
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Friday, 3 June 2022 02:45:11 BST Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> Early this morning Seamonkey could no longer fetch emails. It wouldn't
6 >> accept the username and password. I did some searching and it seems
7 >> that Google is disabling plain text username and password. Honestly,
8 >> sounds like a good idea really. During my searches, most recommended
9 >> OAuth2 so I switched to it.
10 > Err ... perhaps not? The use of a browser to delegate sign on is not
11 > necessarily a good idea, because it introduces layers of complication and with
12 > it potential vulnerabilities. Random explainer here:
13 >
14 > https://medium.com/securing/what-is-going-on-with-oauth-2-0-and-why-you-should-not-use-it-for-authentication-5f47597b2611
15 >
16 > I recall some IMAP4 devs complaining about it, but Google pushed on
17 > regardless. From the end of May if you want to login to Gmail you have no
18 > option but to use OAuth2. I expect this will break some users login if they
19 > have not disabled what Google calls "Less secure application access" and
20 > shared with Google their mobile phone number and what other *private*
21 > information Google wants to know, before it allows you to access your email
22 > messages.
23
24 I read a portion of your link.  It lost me pretty quick.  I seem to
25 recall that the old way, the username and password was sent in plain
26 text.  In other words, anyone could grab it between me and google,
27 including my ISP plus who knows who else.  I'd think that about anything
28 would be more secure than plain text.  There may be better options but I
29 have to work with what Google supports.  If it supports something
30 better, I'd switch to that.  I'm open to better options.  I just want to
31 be able to fetch my emails in a reasonably secure way.  BTW, the
32 password I use for email is not used anywhere else.  I use Bitwarden
33 now, used LastPass before that.
37 >> After a while, I noticed it wasn't downloading new emails
38 >> automatically. I have it set to check for new messages every 10 minutes
39 >> or so. I had to hit the Get Msgs button each time. I'd prefer it to do
40 >> it automatically. I tried restarting Seamonkey and even changing the
41 >> settings for doing it automatically, in case a config file needed
42 >> updating after the switch, still doesn't do it automatically. I'm
43 >> attaching a screenshot of the settings.
44 >>
45 >> Does using OAuth2 disable automatically fetching messages or am I
46 >> missing some other setting? It worked fine until I switched to OAuth2
47 >> so I don't know what else it could be. Is there something better than
48 >> OAuth2 that gmail supports? I just picked the first option I found.
49 >>
50 >> Thoughts??
51 > The OAuth2 mechanism will refresh exchange of tokens between client and server
52 > when they expire, but this should be seamless and transparent to the user. If
53 > there is a breakdown in the connection for some time and a token expires, then
54 > depending on the mail client it may pop up a window asking for your login
55 > credentials to be resubmitted. It does this occasionally on Kmail, but I have
56 > not noticed it on T'bird, which I believe is similar/same to the mail client
57 > of Seamonkey.
58 >
59 > Checking for emails every so often on a timer, is separate to authentication/
60 > authorization. Whether you check for email manually, or after a timer
61 > triggers it, OAuth2 will kick in on each occasion as the next step. There may
62 > be some bug in Seamonkey. You could try a later version or try T'bird. If
63 > that works with the same settings, but Seamonkey doesn't, then by a process of
64 > elimination the issue would be with Seamonkey's implementation.
65 >
66 > HTH.
69 I wouldn't think the two would have any effect on each other either but
70 the only change I made was how it sends username and password.  Heck, at
71 first, I didn't even restart Seamonkey.  When I hit the Get Msg button,
72 it asked for the password and starting downloading several hours worth
73 of emails.  It hasn't asked for it again since I entered it the first
74 time so it should be able to trigger itself.  Your logic makes sense but
75 reality has thrown a wrench into the gearbox.  I thought about switching
76 back but the old way wasn't allowed anymore.  So, I can't revert and
77 test.  BTW, I'm using POP3 I think.  I actually store my emails locally.
78
79 I'm not sure where to go on this.  It may be a bug but even that would
80 be odd since sending username and password should be separate from
81 triggering a timer.  It just doesn't make sense.
82
83 Thanks.
84
85 Dale