From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Incorporating openvpn in backup scheme
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 06:43:59
1 >>>>>>> I have several remote systems all pushing backups to my local
2 >>>laptop
3 >>>>>>> via rdiff-backup. Sometimes when on the road I find myself behind
4 >>>a
5 >>>>>>> router and the remote systems are unable to push. Is openvpn the
6 >>>>>>> right solution here? Should I run a separate openvpn server on
7 >>>each
8 >>>>>>> system to be backed up with my laptop as the client?
9 >>>>>>
10 >>>>>> If you can configure the router to forward the port used by the
11 >>>OpenVPN
12 >>>>>> server to your laptop, you can run the server on your laptop.
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> I can't rely on being able to configure the router unfortunately,
15 >>>but
16 >>>>> I have to admit admin/admin does work a lot of the time.
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>>> But, as is more likely, when you can not configure the router,
19 >>>running
20 >>>>>> an
21 >>>>>> OpenVPN server on (at least one) remote system and having your
22 >>>laptop
23 >>>>>> connect to that, you can have the other systems push to your laptop
24 >>>over
25 >>>>>> the VPN-link.
26 >>>>>> Either directly (by establishing multiple VPN-links from your
27 >>>laptop
28 >>>>>> (one
29 >>>>>> to each server) or via one of the remote systems.
30 >>>>>
31 >>>>> So I'm sure I understand, I should run the openvpn server on one of
32 >>>my
33 >>>>> remote systems and connect to that with each of the other remote
34 >>>>> systems and the laptop. Then I can back up from any of the remote
35 >>>>> systems to the laptop and all the laptop needs to be able to do is
36 >>>>> make an outbound connection to the openvpn server?
37 >>>>
39 >>>> 1) OpenVPN on every remote system and have laptop connect to all
40 >>>remote
41 >>>> systems for the backup
42 >>>>
43 >>>> 2) OpenVPN on 1 remote system (configured as router for the
44 >>>VPN-links)
45 >>>> - laptop and other remote systems connect to this remote system
46 >>>> - backup are sent to laptop via this one remote system
47 >>>
48 >>>#2 sounds cooler. Is that what you'd do?
49 >>>
50 >>>- Grant
51 >>
52 >> Yes.
53 >> With the VPN server being at my home network.
54 >
55 > Need to add to this:
56 > Option #2 has a few downsides:
57 > 1) The system running the VPN-server will have a lot more bandwidth
58 > utilisation. (Backups for other systems will go through the link this one
59 > has)
60 > 2) If that system is down, none of the other systems can be accessed via VPN.
61 >
62 > For me the downsides don't count as the server can be accessed really
63 > easily and I pay the same for my home internet connection when I use it or
64 > don't use it.
65
66 Convinced. Thank you for your help.
67