From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:59:57
1 On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 22:58 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 12/04/12 22:49, Dale wrote:
3 > > Howdy,
4 > >
5 > > Well, it appears we got the init thingy working. I'm about ready to
6 > > move things around since one of my drives is about full and I need a
7 > > spare to move things around with. I use cp -a to copy things while
8 > > booted from a USB stick do hicky. So far, that has always worked and is
9 > > pretty fast. I do have a question tho.
10 > >
11 > > When I copy this over, do I still need to copy over null, console and
12 > > such to /dev? I know I don't need everything in /dev but do recall
13 > > needing those in the past. Has this changed since I'm using the init
14 > > thingy? Am I forgetting one? I thought there was three.
15 > >
16 > > Anything else that could be a gotcha? I plan to move this twice. Once
17 > > to the spare drive, repartition the OS drive then copy things back over
18 > > again. It's been a while and with LVM about to be used, I hope it is
19 > > the last time.
20 >
21 > Make sure this is really what you want. If *any* of the disks in the
22 > LVM goes bad, you lose everything, not just the data on that single disk.
26 Not necessarily so ... you can remove a failed drive and only lose the
27 data on that drive - the data on the other drives is usually accessible.
28 If a drive is in the process of failing you have more options to move
29 the data to another drive. If you dont have lvm ... the data on that
30 drive is toast anyway.
31
32 Downside, is you have to be aware that you are using LVM and respond
33 accordingly ... go at it the wrong way and it will be you who have lost
34 the data (on the whole set of disks), not LVM. Non LVM is simpler, but
35 the gain in flexibility offsets that enormously.
36
37 I have used LVM for years now, and have had failed drives, failing
38 drives and add/remove drives and have resized partitions quite a few
39 times over that period - without losing everything. Yes, I have
40 sometimes lost data on a drive before I could move it off ... but I look
41 at it from the point of view that without LVM, I would not have had a
42 chance to save what I did manage to get.
43
44 BillK